Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#69993 - 05/25/07 07:30 AM exhaust leak
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
i went in to have my flowmasters put on and when i went to pick up my car he told me that i have a leak in my resonator i was also going to have im do my ubend replacement but he didnt have time and he said he was going to wait until i figure out what i want to do with my res. any ideas of what i should do..

also this guy must like me or something because he made an all new y pipe and gave me another set of original tips and he set it up so i can take off the tips and put on aftermarket ones if i want to ... it did all of this for only $80
#69994 - 05/25/07 11:05 AM Re: exhaust leak
D Offline
Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I would change it but put the stock resinator put back in. Unless you wan tto go with g glass pack. Either way you go I would put something there, b/c the drowning will kill you.

1997 Grand Prix GT: ZZP SS M90 Kit--P&P Blower and LIM--3.8" Modular pulley--36# injectors--ZZP Wizair CAI--8.5mm MSD Wires--Autolite 103s@ .052--180* drilled T-stat--Tune Time Performance Tune--ZZP 2.5" D/P w/o Cat--ZZP Stage 1 HV TB--ZZP Power Log & Rear PEM--ZZP Poly Motor & Tranny Mounts--Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow Mufflers--Auto Meter Z Series Boost & Oil Pressure Gauges--Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge

New York Metro Club Grand Prix
www.nymcgp.com
#69995 - 05/25/07 11:20 AM Re: exhaust leak
Kev-GTP Offline
Loc: Dallas, Tx
Yeah if you like it loud, put a straight pipe in there.
#69996 - 05/25/07 12:14 PM Re: exhaust leak
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
i have no resonator. the drone isnt bad at all. jsut put a pipe in there
#69997 - 05/25/07 12:37 PM Re: exhaust leak
drummerboy1307 Offline
Loc: Groton, CT
leave the resonator in...

'97 SE with alot of mods
#69998 - 05/25/07 12:55 PM Re: exhaust leak
4drgt Offline
Loc: Des Moines ,Iowa
i dont want the droan... i just have my flowmasters installed now ... and i will do a u bend deleate and then i will see what he can do about the res. because i would like to leave it in place
#69999 - 05/27/07 06:43 PM Re: exhaust leak
grandtouring Offline
Loc: Hull, Quebec, Canada
Hey guys im new to this, and ive been having a similar problem i think, when i accelerate from any speed or from take off, my exaust seems to have a gargling noise, now i thought it might be the torque converter, but can it be, its a 2000 gtp and i bought it last fall for 14,000, at 54k,is this the same problem you are having, like say you are driving beside a gard rail or a wall, and you accelerate it has like a gargling sound? the only way it doesent do that is if i really punch the pedal. If it isent the same situation can anyone please help me figure this out.
#70000 - 05/27/07 10:00 PM Re: exhaust leak
Richard Candelario Offline
wow. thats a new one on me. I'll be watchin this thread now. Am I understanding the sound? Your exhaust has a tone similar to a V8 with a wild cam? Oh, and welcome aboard, BTW. great buncha peeps on here. Use Hercman's website.

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#70001 - 05/27/07 10:37 PM Re: exhaust leak
20gtp02 Offline
Check under you car and check out that exhaust sytem. See if you have some aftermarket work done. Then if so, check out those areas. Does the gargle sound good or not good? Mine rumbles at 20-40% throttle. But I think mine is alright. Sort of hard to figure what your sound is like.

#70002 - 05/27/07 10:40 PM Re: exhaust leak
ordonez1307 Offline
Loc: Bradenton, FL
Gargling is a good word to describe an exhaust leak. Check where the flanges are. Maybe get a DP/u-bend delete while your under there! lol

Welcome to the site!
#70003 - 05/28/07 06:32 PM Re: exhaust leak
grandtouring Offline
Hey guys, ya i have thought about the u-bend delete, sounds to me that that is what it might be, fingers crossed, its just too bad you know, i bought this car in great shape in toronto, Im Canadian by the way, lol, anyways i drove down all the way from ottawa, 6 hours just to buy it, they will never make gp's like this anymore, and it had only 54,000k,and the couple that owned it i think were from Kansas, so no salty roads or snow, but its brown, very ugly, but i can always paint it, WHITE, 4 door, fully loaded, i had a 97 2 door fully loaded gtp and i wouldent want any other car, ive wanted a grand prix since i was about 12 years old, so if anyone is a gp's freak, its me, im trying to learn how to do all the work myself without my uncles and grandfathers help to show i can manage just fine alone, but its hard, but anyways back to the problem, its like in a standard car, when you pull out to pass someone and you dont down shift it bogg's out, and gargles not rumble, it gargles,there is a guy next door who's 98 bonneville does the exact same but his is worst, when we take off you can really hear it, unless you really punch it, then there is no gargling, so my options are either my converter is clogged, but my car doesnt over heat, YET, or tourqe converver, im hoping its just the u bent, but i do have lots more to talk about, lots of mods i want to dicuss, im putting them all on in the next week, just want to know what you guys think, if anyone cares to get into a deep chat about this awesome car pontiac made, lol, get back to me, i do need some help.
#70004 - 05/28/07 06:44 PM Re: exhaust leak
Richard Candelario Offline
as stated before, 4 doors FTW! Gigan-door (read that as gigantor) is really hurtin these days! Sorry to threadjack. back to the topic at hand...

WizAire CAI w/9" K&N & HV3, 2.5" d/p w/h/f cat, Cobra CB, PowerSlot slots w/Hawk HPS, GR-2s, GMPP handling kit, NextLevel STBs, Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires.

98 L36/MM5
RaC
#70005 - 05/28/07 09:31 PM Re: exhaust leak
Blackarrow98GP Offline
Loc: CT, U.S.A
Quote:
Originally posted by GRANDTOURING:
Hey guys im new to this, and ive been having a similar problem i think, when i accelerate from any speed or from take off, my exaust seems to have a gargling noise, now i thought it might be the torque converter, but can it be, its a 2000 gtp and i bought it last fall for 14,000, at 54k,is this the same problem you are having, like say you are driving beside a gard rail or a wall, and you accelerate it has like a gargling sound? the only way it doesent do that is if i really punch the pedal. If it isent the same situation can anyone please help me figure this out.
If you can, raise and support the car on jackstands, then check for loose heat shields and "thump" the catalytic converter with a rubber mallet, or the heel of your hand (with the car cold, of course.. wink ). If the catalytic converter is broken inside, you should hear a rattling sound.
#70006 - 05/28/07 10:39 PM Re: exhaust leak
Chico Offline
Loc: Gonzales Tx.
I'm trying but i just can't fathom a gargling sound ,try another term to explain the sound .Chico.
#70007 - 05/29/07 12:51 AM Re: exhaust leak
grandtouring Offline
Thats it, its just like there is a lose of power, maybe its the crappy exaust on these gp's i dont know, but its like when you dont down shift to pass, the exaust just boggs down and gargles you here it on most cars now a days, just sound like my grand dads truck, the exaust is way past done and it rattles all the time now, but my exaust cant be done, 87.000k i dont know what to do, that always happens, i always hear and feel the things wrong with my car but noone else can because they dont drive it everyday like i do, i hear every ping, and grind and it drives me crazy, so thats why im trying to study up on grand prixs more so i can diag the problem myself, but there can be many options. i just got home and it was doing it really bad tonight its getting worst everyday, say im driving like 30kmh canadian here! and i accelerate it will start to bogg out alittle and gargle, so then i really press the gas and get it to shift then its fine, some people really think its the tourqe converter, but can it be at 87.000k, and it was an old couple who stored it in their garage before me, hardly used, why am i having problems like this, what do you guys really think its, and could it be the TC? if so how big of a job to fix that, cuz some times it picks up and goes but other times its dead. and i keep it extreamly well maintained, So TC? or u-bend? not my heat sheild i removed it already.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >